The Arkansas Department of Education, in order to ensure that all students make educational progress in the least restrictive environment, provides Behavior Support Specialists in each Education Cooperative in the state to support school districts in the provision of special education and related services to students identified as having a disability pursuant to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
The Behavior Support Specialist assists schools in their efforts to:
- Identify and program for students with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
- Assist school districts in conducting Functional Behavioral Assessments and developing Behavior Intervention Plans for students based on evidence-based practices.
Behavior Support Specialist services are available to Arkansas schools. Our target service population includes students who:
- Are suspected of having an Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Are diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Are currently receiving Special Education services and present significant behavioral challenges
To access the services of a Behavior Support Specialist, click on the Direct Services link on the right, then click on “Click here to request a service” to complete an online referral